The Bonneville Sheriff’s Search & Rescue patrol is always looking for new members. Prospective members must meet the following criteria:
- 21 years or older
- Ability to complete a CPR and First Aid course
- Pass a physical fitness test of an unencumbered 1 mile walk in 16 minutes (some specialty teams have further physical fitness requirements)
- Pass a background check
- Commitment to attend at least 50% of trainings and 50% of callouts
In addition to the above requirements, we generally look for the candidates who have some of the following qualities:
- Work well as a team, especially during stressful and challenging situations
- Experience in the outdoors such as
- GPS, mapping, compass
- Motorized vehicles such as motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles
- Hiking, backpacking, camping
- Access to 4wd or off road vehicles
- Flexibility to respond to callouts at any hour of the day, any day of the week
If you are interested in joining, please fill out a short form so we get in contact with you when interviews begin.
We conduct interviews once a year, usually in early December. You can fill out an application at that time. Background checks can take a month to complete, after which we will notify those who are invited to join. New members will join a 20 hour boot camp introductory course which normally takes place in March. New members must complete a 6 month probationary period.
We regularly meet on the 2nd and last Tuesday of each month at 7:00pm at our building at 2365 Hemmert Way in Idaho Falls. Check the calendar before you come though because we sometimes change the schedule. Please feel free to attend and speak with us. Note that due to liability requirements, you can only attend a maximum of 2 training meetings before being sworn in.